Friday, June 20, 2014

Engineering College: Really tuff to get into :-)


I scored around 82% in my 12th class. I appeared for most of the entrance exams I could. I always worked for MCQs so as the results were out… I got 790 rank in DCE but I got better ranks in UP and MP entrances and I wanted to go for computers/IT and computers seats normally just fills in about 150+ ranks in DCE so not hops there. I was ready to explore then next in canceling dates...UPSEAT… my rank was good so it was the second day of counseling and I was at IT College, Lucknow with my father. We reached the second day since my rank was good there and we got to know that we need to get a DD instead of cash so we got our DD ready in noon time and kept waiting for turn. Finally, my turn came around 11 PM and there were lot of free seats available… I happily opted for a free seat for computers in one of the government college and felt like life is all set now. The counselor took some time and then told me that only domiciles (people who are born or have their parents living in UP) are eligible for the free seats which I was never aware of and it was never mentioned in the entrance exam Boucher also…. It was like a shock for me and dad as we have been waiting for our chance since morning. I was born in UP however if I was aware of this fact I would have got the domiciliary proof however now it’s too late and no time to get proof since counselling will be over in next couple of days and all seats will be filled up. I realized it was a real bad decision to leave DCE seat for a computers branch…everything in life ends on a beautiful note… so if it is not beautiful then it is not the end… The next day we got our DD cancelled and then we came back to Delhi… Now our next stop was MP… and we are preparing our tour’de’ MP university. We already knew the place to stay in MP… my grandfather had few friends there so this time he went with me to MP instead of Dad so that he can also meet his old time friends… we reached the beautiful capital of MP…. BHOPAL…the place to stay was not very far away from the station…we got a bus no 9 to reach Arara colony, one of the posh societies of Bhopal… we spent a day there since we had appointment for next day. We checked with local helpdesk on how to reach our counselling office… next day we were moving to the IT college, Bhopal.. It was the month of September when spring was sets in… Bhopal is a real beautiful and nice city to see at that time…all lush green and we passed by those 2 lakes which makes it even more beautiful city. We got a cab from there to go to RangShala where we wanted to meet one of the professors at REC college for understanding the education system in MP…after the talk we moved to IT college by another Bus….once I reached there I liked the way things were moving and it looked quite professional attitude from the authorities there…anyways we went into a big open counselling area… there was a big display screen with college name, branch and seats available… I was very happy to see a lot of free seats available in few government colleges… I had a list of college I made after discussion with professor. Finally my turn came in and I chose the computer branch instantly without second thought. I felt luckily to get a seat for IT in REC College... I was really happy and my grandfather was also good with seat selection… We returned home happily… we got a train from HabibGanj station… we reached delhi and luckily it was the time for Tika (like rakhi) in Delhi where 4 of our extended families was gathered for celebration…as they came to know I have chosen computer as a branch I could feel a collective resistance from all of them since none of them had used or seen computer until that tiem in life and they were not so common…Ultimately, we made up mind to move to MP again and choose Mechanical branch… the very next day we were on the station again for the train to MP… we got a ticket with almost the last number in the waiting list….an un-reserved coach…. We paid some amount to TT to get single seat… next morning we reached MP and again started out journey to IT College… we reached there and it was the last day for admission and almost all the seats were finished… in prefer to wait for an year rather than getting payment seat in newly build college…we went to surrender my seat…. what??? Was the reaction of person whom I asked for surrender… after all it was a Free seat with lowest fee in Government College. He looked at me as I am going for a sin act… however he confirmed once more… and I said yes with a heavy heart.. J… We got our DD back… it we had been late by a single day then we need to go to the college to get the DD and other documents. As soon as the person cancelled my seat, I saw the 1 against the college, IT branch… it did not take more than 3 seconds for counter to get back to 0….I was like dead and not able to think what have I done… anyways one always realizes the damage once it is done…I was not sure why I could not resist this decision by my family.. One of the facts was even I was not sure what is happening… I just kept following that others suggested…anyways, we moved back to Delhi… I was a little low however I was always an optimistic person and never cribbed about life…whatever came to me I accepted, whenever I wanted something I pushed my all power for it.. I think that is the real strength of my character… so when people think something is all over I work on it and get it done… therefore as per my nature, I started preparing for GATE and was planning to enroll for the One year course for next year entrance exams… I almost made up my mind for next year and I got something to cheer about again…It was third day only after all of the pain when I heard about a new university… Indraprastha University... I filled up the exam and within 2 weeks we got the results and the counseling dates... I was invited for second day for ranks 250 until 500 and y rank was 490…I was sitting there since morning and my parent joined me in the evening… I was surprised to hear that 24 people got the same marks but as I was having letter starting with V I got the rank as 490… My hard luck the last free seat for IT was over by 480… I wish I had a name starting with AAA so that I would have got the IT Free seat… however our fate is already decided so no point cribbing and lets go ahead..it was my, mother and dad there and three of us were really confused as we were not able to decide which branch to opt for…I left my MP seat for getting a Mechanical Branch Free Seat (as everyone was telling its ever green and never gets you out of jobs in market), second was an Free Electrical seat which none of knew and wanted to opt for for and third was paid seats for IT... When we were fighting with all thoughts and my turn was about to come in next 10 mins my father came back with and old person who was also there for his some relative. Dad already had a detailed talk with the person before they arrived. Me and mom did not know who he was and dad told that he is suggesting to take IT since it will help us in future... We were all confused and since none of my parent were from engineering back ground, his words really counted a lot for all of us. Those 10 misn were where my fate was stamped again (i already told its decided already what we will do in life so this is just s stamping for it)... he said to my father “If you chose IT you will do something for you son and trust me you will not regret your decision”. We surrendered to his magical voice and those were the golden words of my life…Our minds were all thinking of Paid IT seat only and I was standing waiting for my turn (to be called in next 5 mins), my parents were standing little away and thinking of how to pay 80k per year which was my fee. I looked at them and the smiled at me and dad came to me. my name was called and we went to the desk and when he asked for a seat I was still confused but my father said in bold voice with a sense of pride looking at me.. IT seat.. Paid IT seat.. is that really what I heard and my father just gave his go ahead.. I was like shocked and could not express my happiness.. that person who guided us was not there.. may be he was an angle sent for us to decide my our lives.. we opted for IT branch and my new Identity was 99/GT/IT/43 for next 4 years to come…
we came out of counseling hall with lot of relief and happiness and we got onto my dad's scooter which on that day did not feel like having any trouble else I will keep cursing that scooter for bad breaks, loose clutch and as usual missing gears.. 
That day was one of the moment of pride for me again that my father bet his life's earning to make my career and to get me what I asked him silently. He did not show any emotions or happiness but I could feel the pride feeling and happiness he had in his heart with sense of achievement like any other parent that his son will not be an Engineer.. I was one of the First to be Engineer in my entire Family.
We all drove home by 11 pm and my Grandfather who will normally have his dinner around 9 PM as daily ritual was still waiting for us. He was all really happy to hear the news and higher pride since both his son and grandson have done something that no one has done in our family yet.. He was in army so came and shook hands firmly and said "good done engineer varun sharma" and we saluted each other in his army style. I touched his feet and he hugged and blessed me and then we had dinner together and it was end of a tiring, stressful, happy, relieving day so a Day Full of Emotional ups and down and I still thank that Angle professor to help us get where I am today in life.
I realize that I am not the first person in world who got into an engineering college with a lot of difficulties/hiccups. I could understand that reason for all this hassle was lack of awareness about engineering colleges in India both for me and my family, not having career counseling at primary level (which could happen in 12th class), the state wise entrance exams where one does now know which university is better and which all exams one should apply as fees for each exam is not less than 1000 rs.…Today the selection process is limited to colleges in a state, however I believe one day it will become - a country wide selection criterion rather than state wise and this help those who cannot really afford to appear for multiple exams...
Having gone though all this, I associated with an NGO where I do this kind of counseling to help people understand what they can excel in... Depending upon their interest, family status etc... I believe I should help others so that people should know what is smart way to earn good in life..
In last, I am really thankful to my parents who supported me for my studies. It is all the result of pain that we all bore during our studies that I and my brother are in a good position. All we are today is because of my parent dedication, hard work and they wanted their children to study and become something to be proud of. I am there are still milestones to achieve... :-)

2 comments:

Varada said...

all the best, you will surely achieve all the possible heights in your life.

Varun Sharma said...

Thanks Varada..